top of page

FAW CUP RD1 | Match Report

Pontypridd United sailed through to the next round of the FAW Women’s Cup...

FAW CUP RD1 | Match Report

By Eloise Martin

Pontypridd United sailed through to the next round of the FAW Women’s Cup after a 5-0 victory over Barry Town United. A first-half hat-trick from player of the match Alison Witts and goals from Olivia Francis and Ellie Gunney all contributed to the excellent team performance. The win also saw Paige Ward make her first senior start!

It took the Dragons 16 minutes before they’d settled into the game and scored their first goal of many. Alison Witts initially sent a header into the goal mouth, but a Barry defender cleared it off the goal line. She fired it straight back at Witts whose body forced it into the top corner. Only a few minutes later Olivia Francis struck, and her shot was just wide! With the Dragons only 1-0 ahead Barry pushed for an equaliser. Mackenzie Olden was played through on goal but rushed her shot with flew over the crossbar.

The Dragons were playing with intensity and around the half-hour mark, Witt’s found her second of the game. Jasmine Turner sent in a cross following a free kick on the edge of the box, Witts was waiting at the far post and headed the ball into the opposite corner to double their lead! Only three minutes later did Witts strike again! Turner’s cross found Witts in the six-yard box, and she bagged hat-trick! Barry still had their chances but Pontypridd United went into the half time with a comfortable 3-0 lead.

The Dragons maintained their dominance in the second half, Ellie Gunney sent in a ball to Olivia Francis who was brought down in the box and the referee gave her a corner. 25 minutes into the half the Dragons were yet to add another to their tally. Until Francis found herself 1v1 with the keeper who had come off her line, she found her way straight around her and calmly slotted the ball into an open goal. An unfortunate injury for the Barry goalkeeper Erin Brennan forced an outfield player, Lauren Harris to take place in her position. Pontypridd United were still as hungry as ever and Gunney found a fifth with a minute of play left to spare. Anais Trinci’s corner found Gunney in the box who guided it past the new keeper with her head.

Overall, it was a ruthless performance from the Dragons to knock Barry Town United out of the FAW Women’s Cup. Pontypridd United will now face Cardiff City in the next round on the 30th of October.

Manager James Fishlock was more than happy after the game and said:

“I’m really happy, I thought we were fantastic. Some of the football we played today was exceptional.

“We moved about well, and we created a lot of chances in the final third and I’m so happy for the girls that they got that result, and we are through to the next round of the cup.”

Alison Witts was awarded player of the match and after the game she said:

“We have played four games and I hadn’t got a goal so a really good start to the season to get three in one day!

“It is the best game I’ve seen us play this season, there was not one person who had a bad game, we played some brilliant football and absolutely deserved to come away with the 5-0 win!”

get your


support Your dragons

VS The New Saints 11_09_22.jpg

bottom of page