top of page

M.8 - 21/2022 Season

Briton Ferry Llansawel

Pontypridd United

By Eloise Martin


A tense 90 minutes led to a victorious penalty shootout down at The Old Road ground on Sunday the 17th October. An incredible effort from the team meant the game resulted in a win after scoring 4 out of the 5 penalties while Briton Ferry converted two.

The first half was challenging for the Dragons as they struggled to get into a flow of play. The first chance of the game came from Sinead Melinn whose shot from inside the halfway line was caught by the Ferry keeper. The half continued to be back and forth, and Briton Ferry were able to disrupt Pontypridd's momentum. Shortly before halftime a ball from Kirstie Pervin-Davies found Robyn Pinder but the strike wasn’t enough to get past Briton Ferry’s keeper.

In the second half the Dragons were able to find their stride, passing the ball and create chances. Liv Barnett had a shot on target, but her effort was caught by the keeper. Minutes later a cross from Anais Trinci found Alison Witts but her shot was wide of the goal. Both teams were frustrated, and the game ended 0-0 leaving the match primed for a penalty shootout!

First up was Jasmine Simpson whose shot was saved by the Briton Ferry goalkeeper. Her effort was followed up by a goal for Briton Ferry and a goal from Anais Trinci who put the ball in the bottom left corner. Briton Ferry were able to secure their next goal in the shootout. Next up was Renee Day who sent the ball flying past the keeper into the back of the net. Briton Ferry’s third shot landed wide of the goal followed by Pontypridd’s Ellie Gunney who shot home her penalty. This was followed by an excellent save against Ferry from goalkeeper Eleanor Brook! Finally, the win was secured by Olivia Barnett whose penalty saw the Dragons sailing through to the quarter-final scoring 4 out of 5 penalties!

This game saw Eleanor Brook makes her debut for the team and speaking after the game she said: “I really enjoyed it, it was really nice to play with the girls, I have been training with them for a few weeks”.

When asked how it was to participate in a penalty shoot-out in her first game she said “It was an interesting one! I like to get in their heads I thought it went well and I’m happy to have saved one too!”

Manager Fern Burrage-Male said “I think it was a game of two halves, we should have won the game in the first 90 minutes, but I am really proud of the girls.”

“The girls showed great determination and they dug in deep and we needed that today,” she said.

Next up the Dragons face The New Saints for the second time this season kicking off down at USW Sport Park at 14:00 this Sunday.

Match Report


goal scorers


17 October 2021 at 13:00:00

VS The New Saints 11_09_22.jpg

get your


support Your dragons

home of the dragons

bottom of page