top of page

M.8 - 22/2023 Season

Pontypridd United

Cardiff Met

By Eloise Martin

Pontypridd United vs Cardiff Met was a seven-goal thriller for the neutrals but one that the Dragons will feel robbed to have missed out on points as it ended in a 3-4 defeat.


Cardiff Met got off on the front foot in the first half and it took nineteen minutes for them to score their first goal of the half. The goal came from a penalty that Erin Murray sent into the right corner of the goal. It wasn’t going Pontypridd United’s way when Ellie Preece received a ball on the wing, running down the line to strike across the goal past the goalkeeper. The Dragons struggled in the first half to get on top and Met struck again in extra time. Robyn Pinder was played through on goal and found their third.


It seemed all over for the Dragons at half-time but a big 45 minutes was to come. After playing short from a corner, Anais Trinci sent a ball into the six-yard box finding Shannon Greenway ran onto the ball sending it into the back of the net! Pontypridd United were picking up momentum and soon after Efa Jones’ cross was tipped just over the bar by the Met goalkeeper!


Met then ramped up their attack again forcing Maisie into a crucial block and Emily Bayliss into a goal-line clearance to deny them a fourth! With 15 minutes left, youngster Liv via Francis added another goal to her tally having scored her first against Aberystwyth last week. The ball found its way to Francis after a tussle in the box, her initial shot was blocked before she followed up the loose ball striking again, this time straight past the goalkeeper.


With the score creeping up in the Dragons favour it would be Met who found the sixth goal of the seven. Liv Francis was also brought down in the box but no penalty was given. Cardiff Met's fourth goal came from another penalty decision. It was Erin Murray again who stepped up to take the penalty scoring comfortably. The game wasn’t over for Pontypridd United who had produced an excellent second-half performance. A free-kick taken by Anais Trinci found Kirstie Pervin-Davies who tapped in to bring the score up to 3-4 in extra time! With moments left of the game, the Dragons nearly found an equaliser. Liv Francis was played through on goal by Anais Trinci but was called offside. Despite the comeback, it wasn’t meant to be and the Dragons were undeservedly left empty-handed.


Speaking to manager James Fishlock after the game, he said:


“I am really happy with the second-half performance, and I think there are a lot of positives to take from the game but, I do feel as if that is one of the games that got away from us over the course of the game.”


“We were 3-0 down in the first half but I thought we did some good things but let in three poor goals. Cardiff Met put us under a bit of pressure, but I think we won the second half comfortably.”


Match Report


goal scorers

Erin Murray 24'

Ellie Preece 37' (Pen)

Robyn Pinder 45 +5'

Shannon Greenway 61'

Olivia Francis 77'

Kirstie Pervin-Davies 92+2'


Treforest Industrial Estate, Pontypridd CF37 5UP, UK

25 September 2022 at 13:00:00

VS The New Saints 11_09_22.jpg

get your


support Your dragons

home of the dragons

bottom of page